Busy June 4: prop making

For our school play, which I didn’t get to see because I was ill, I made some props. This was a nice hands-on and hands-dirty project and a bit of a change. I used to make all the props for the plays I produced at college, and I’ve been making odds and sods for school whenever there’s something random we need for a show.

We needed: a pile of pretty cupcakes, a pile of rotten cupcakes, and a cleaver. Everything below was made with things findable in either the pound store or my classroom.

20120717-163106.jpg
Pound shop purchases
20120717-163152.jpg
Voila – a pile of yummy cupcakes!
Beware though, as the sign says these are full of skewers to keep them together, including the cherries. DO NOT EAT.
20120717-163239.jpg
YEUCH! Ugly, mouldy cupcakes.
Effects created with pieces of green scourer, green marker, and tea granules from a ripped teabag, which was surprisingly effective on stage. No one wanted to eat these, even without the skewers.
20120717-163324.jpg
Step one: buy a cheap dustpan…
20120717-163352.jpg
Step 36, finish covering with layers of tinfoil having cut in half and folded over to make vaguely ‘cleaver’ shape (had to be strong enough to split pieces of velcro that were keeping a teddy’s limbs on, appearing to dismember said teddy. I’m not sure why.)
20120717-163432.jpg
And here’s our finished props table. Obviously, stuff we made earlier…
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s